In order to qualify for the Driver’s Safety Course, you must:
- have a valid Texas Driver’s License (Military or Military dependents are not required to have a Texas Driver’s License to qualify)
- have liability insurance listing you as a covered driver
- not have taken the course within 12 months of the date of the violation for the purpose of dismissing a traffic citation
- The amount of $129.10 must be paid to the Municipal Court at the time of the request.
Driver’s Safety Courses are not available for defendants with:
- a commercial driver’s license (CDL);
- violations involving passing a school bus
- violations that occur in a construction zone
- violations of 25 miles over the posted speed limit
Driving Safety Courses
The Court is not allowed to recommend a driving school. You need only ask if their school is an approved course for the dismissal of a traffic citation. You can take the six-hour course anywhere within the State of Texas. You may take the course in person, on-line, or by renting the video. You can visit the Texas Department of Public Safety’s Website (www.txdps.state.tx.us) for locations of a driving school near you or for pre-approved on-lines courses.
Upon approval to take the Driver’s Safety Course, you will have 90 days to complete the class and return the required documents to the court. You will also be required to obtain a certified copy of your driving record from the Texas Department of Public Safety. Once the court receives the documents, we will notify the Texas Department of Public Safety on the course completion and the citation will be dismissed and will not affect your driving record.