Mr. Barnes began developing Hollywood Park years ago with the construction of a house at 204 Sequoia for Gilbert and Grace Sargent in 1951. Hollywood Park was incorporated on October 24, 1955 and today we have a population of approximately 3’300 residents. Up to about 1962, the city offices operated out of various resident’s homes. In 1962 the area now designated as the Fire Department, was constructed and city offices moved into it. This was accomplished with donations of funds and labor from the Homeowners’ Association, the Woman’s Club and the Fire Dept. Auxiliary.
In 1975 Administration and Police Departments moved into an abandoned building which had served as the office of the Hollywood Park Lumber Yard at 2 Mecca Drive. This was to serve as City Hall for five years. In 1985, Mayor Ruby Weinholt asked the architect firm of Johnson-Dempsey and Associates to develop plans for a new, enlarged Municipal complex for Hollywood Park. These plans were developed but the project died when someone “guesstimated” that the building would cost about $800,000. The project stayed dormant until May 1987 when Mayor Patricia Flynn appointed a committee consisting of Elmer Koenig, Darryl Mueller, Bob Parke, Helen Rackley, Doug Walton, Ruby Weinholt and Bala Srinivas to recommend plans for a city complex together with financing options. This committee made its final recommendations in November 1987 and the architect firm of Fisher/Heck Inc. was commissioned to draw up a master plan and schematics. Public hearings were held in February 1988 to discuss a bond election for the issuance of $430,000. A twenty year General Obligation bond was authorized by Council in March of 1988. A citizens Bond Committee consisting of Gen. Evan Rosencrans, Dixon Brown, Bernie Jensen, Cliff Munson, Helen Rackley and Doug Walton did a fine job of “selling” the bond issue.n
On May 7, 1988 the bond issue passed by a vote of 338 to 290. By June of 1988 all bonds had been sold with 55% being purchased by residents of Hollywood Park. Ground was broken on November 1, 1988 and the new building [current City Hall] was occupied on May 4, 1989.